Viewers of yesterday’s Tournament of Roses Parade saw a familiar host in Hannah Storm, but they may not have known that it would be a special New Years’ Day for her. It would be the first assignment for the longtime ESPN anchor after she suffered second degree burns in an accident three weeks ago.
According to an ABC News.com report, Storm was preparing dinner using a propane grill. It was a particularly windy night, and she thought the flames had been blown out. She turned off the gas and tried to relight the burners, and an explosion occurred. Storm described hearing a loud bang and a wall of fire. She then noticed that she was on fire.
One of Storm’s daughter’s came to her rescue and called 911. She was taken to the hospital to treat burns to her head, face and hands.
While on the air, she expressed some nervousness but admitted that she was happy to be back at work. She was especially grateful to the hair and makeup artists who outfitted her with eyelashes, hair extensions and additional foundation. She marveled at how she looked like she had not been burned after looking “disfigured” three weeks ago.
The story underscores the danger of propane grills, especially in windy conditions. Many grills come with warning labels that caution users of the hazards of lingering gas. Propane is heavier than air, and does not dissipate as quickly. If a flame is introduced prematurely, an explosion can occur.
Grilling accidents are not as common in the winter months, but they can happen; especially when the user is unaware of whether the gas has dissipated, or a defect within the grill allows gas to leak.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a propane grill, contact an experienced attorney.
Source: ABC News.com, ESPN’s Hannah Storm on exploding grill burn accident, January 2, 2013